Welcome to Watch with Comfort, a newsletter that helps you enjoy what you watch! We break down what people have been watching this last week and what's worth your time! I'm also collecting a news and editorials that deserve your attention. Hope you enjoy and see ya next time!
Sorry I missed last week. Big changes are coming. Unfortunately they were preceded by technical difficulties.
Anyways, you might notice a theme in this edition. I’m curious if anyone will pick up on it. Share your thoughts with a reply if you’re so inclined.
Thank you for your time, on with the show!
This week’s issue of Watch With Comfort is brought to you by Standing Up.
Stand up, you might like it!
Learn more below.
Box Office & Streaming
Top Fives of the Week(end)
The Top 5 Box Office Weekend (Oct 20-22):
- Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour - $31m
- Killers of the Flower Moon - $23m (Opening)
- The Exorcist: Believer - $5.6m
- Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie - $4.5m
- The Nightmare Before Christmas - $4.1m (Re-Release)
Box Office Notes:
- Killers of the Flower Moon is higher on the list than I expected. Probably boosted by its stacked cast list and director Martin Scorsese’s latest shots at Marvel.
- I can’t wait for Five Night’s at Freddy’s to take the top spot away from a darn concert movie. That’s a very strange sentence to type, but I stand by it.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas, a 30 year old me, has legitimately displaced recent releases like Saw X and The Creator from the list. It it shows that people will go to the cinema to watch a GOOD movie no matter how old it is. Shame it didn’t beat Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie while it was at it.
Top 5 Streamed Titles (From Sept 18-24):
- Suits - Netflix/Peacock
- Elemental - Disney Plus
- Virgin River - Netflix
- Bluey - Disney Plus
- Grey’s Anatomy - Netflix
- Suits briefly lost the top spot last week! Sadly it’s back on top again. I swear I don’t hate this show, still haven’t watched it. But I want something, ANYTHING to topple it if only for the sake of variety
- I think Grey’s Anatomy is going to be a boilerplate show. When a new title doesn’t make the top five or drops out of it, Grey’s Anatomy will fill the spot lol.
- I wonder when we’ll see a new show from MAX or Paramount Plus on here?
What to Watch this Week
I got the idea for a new section that makes a lot of sense! Here’s the big releases for this coming week!
This isn’t going to be a comprehensive list. It’s going to be curated to the titles I think are most noteworthy. No Reality TV or Anime. Just US theatrical and streaming releases.
- Five Night’s at Freddy’s
- Hits a wide release on October 27– On track to be one of the largest openings of the year
- Pain Hustlers
- Netflix on October 27
- Season 1 hits Netflix on October 26
- “The youth would rather watch YouTube” is perhaps the understatement of the year.
- I think it proves that Hollywood’s complacency is catching up with them and is going to hurt their bottom lines even more now.
- I’ve said it before, but I think Sports is the last frontier for streamers to fight over.
- There’s a lot of rumors flying around regarding NBA and F1 rights in particular.
- This piece goes into how companies are navigating their chessboards while sports organizations prepare for profit.
- A lot of The Hollywood press is optimistic about the outcome of the WGA Strike.
- While it’s definitely a victory, I look at it more as kicking the can down the road a little more.
- This piece is a solid look into how the issues of the strike may evolve and likely worsen by the time the contract expires.
- This is a more detailed look into how times might change for Hollywood.
- Nice bird’s eye view of everything in motion that could affect the business.
When’s the last time you got a promotion or a raise?
Feel like your walk is a little slower?
I bet you didn’t know the two were related.
It’s because you’ve been slacking at a particular skill.
This is your friendly PSA to Stand Up.
When you’re sitting at your desk mulling over what you’re gonna have for dinner, just stand up!
It will help you think more clearly by helping oxygen get to your brain faster!
And when your boss asks you to justify not being laid off, just stand up!
It will assert your intellectual worth and exert your will on your boss!
Start enjoying the health benefits and life hacks that standing provides today!
Joking aside I used to have a standing desk and it helped me FEEL healthier and that’s what really matters. Also don’t harass people by standing up you’ll probably get sued somehow.
Stand up, you might like it!
- Best Buy might stop selling Physical Media in 2024
- YouTube not bidding for NBA rights
- YouTube TV ends deceptive marketing campaign
- CrunchyRoll FAST Channel coming soon
- Taylor Swift’s concert film will probably make a lot of money
Guess The Shot
What movie or show is this from?
Like I mentioned in the Editor’s Note, I’m reflecting a lot on my journey as a filmmaker.
This shot for this week comes from a film pivotal to that journey.
My Freshman year Media Studies class got to see it in the theater and I will never forget that experience.
Last week’s answer was Paper Towns.